Saturday, August 31, 2013

Why I Am Here

I have thought about blogging about my classroom before, but somehow life always gets in the way and it hasn't become anything beyond a thought.  It seems that more and more teachers are blogging and sharing ideas.  I find that there are a lot of passionate teachers who want to expose others to their great teaching strategies and I want to start giving back after getting so much from them.

This is my tenth year of teaching and have always taught at the upper elementary level and loved it.  A new challenge for me this year will be working with students K-5 in math and reading  I thrive on being challenged and wanted to be challenged professionally again...it is happening.  This year is great, but I have been brought back to how I often felt as a first year teacher...spending weekends at school and staying there long after the last student has left.  I think part of it is because I am a perfectionist and the other part is I know where I was as a teacher last year, so I am striving to be similar.  It is hard for me to accept that I have lots to learn in my new position, but I already know that the year will be a great one. 

I believe...
* students should be talked to, not talked at
* the relationship and trust you build with your students can be just as important as what you teach them
* every student who walks into my classroom should grow academically and in terms of character while they are in my classroom
* teachers have the greatest profession in the world

0 comments:

Post a Comment